Another month has come and gone, and we are now into December. Chrismas is coming up and will be here in no time. We will most certainly have our first snowfall sometime this month, which is not something I’m looking forward to. I’m actually surprised we didn’t have any in November. Now that November is in the books, it’s time to go over my end-of-the-month blog statistics.
November Stats & Information
I saw a another steady decline in most traffic statistics in November. Fairly early in the October the major search engines had an algorithm change. Basically, they changed things around and “punished” sites that didn’t have a lot of post text at the top of the page. I saw an immediate decline in search engine traffic from a couple hundred a day down to 10-20 per day. I made some changes to the site to become more compliant with the new search algorithms, and it took two or three weeks to get my traffic back to where it had been (or so I thought). Traffic was back to normal levels for about a week, but then sunk right back down to the low levels. Jeremy over at Modest Money did point out some on-page coding issues that I’ve been working on, and I still have to check for broken links. Hopefully getting all these things resolved will help bring some search engine traffic back.
- Visits: 3,835 (vs. 7,057 in October)
- Unique Visitors: 3,289 (vs. 6,397 in October)
- Total Pageviews: 13,624 (vs. 30,557 in October)
- Pages per visit: 3.55 (vs.4.33 in October)
- Visit Duration: 1:42 (vs. 1:18 in October)
- Bounce Rate: 66.00% (vs. 67.01% in October)
Like I said, almost every statistic was significantly worse in November compared to October. I’m not sure what I can do to bring things back to where they were a couple months ago, but I’ll do some more digging and see. In the meantime all I can do is continue to do what I do, write posts that are interesting and that people can use, and keep networking with my fellow bloggers out there.
- Alexa Ranking: 176,966 (vs. 199,568 in October)
- Google Pagerank: 2 (same as October)
- MozRank: 4.57 (vs. 4.58 in October)
- E-mail Subscriptions: 21 (vs. 20 in October)
- Facebook Likes: 205 (vs. 20 in October)
- Twitter Followers: 165 (vs. 71 in October)
My blog rankings are making steady progress. My Alexa ranking is continually going down my Google Pagerank is at 2, and my MozRank stayed the same. I’m still working on social media, and made significant progress there. I took part in a couple giveaways that really boosted my Facebook likes and Twitter followers.
How My Goals Went
I met some of them, came close to others, and totally missed some other goals.
I wanted to see my Alexa ranking drop to 180,000 by the end of November. Woohoo, I made it! I wasn’t sure if I would or not. Now, my goal for December is to get it down to 160,000. I think this is doable, but I know it gets a lot harder to keep this going down.
I set the following social media goals for November:
- Email Subscriptions: 25 (Actual was 21).I didn’t meet my goal. Getting new e-mail subscribers is pretty hard. Maybe I’ll have to create a giveaway to motivate people to subscribe.
- Facebook Likes: 25 (Actual was 205). I blew this one out of the water. Like I mentioned before, I took part in a giveaway that really boosted this. The giveaway is a monthly thing, so I should be able to alternate various social media accounts with each one. My goal for December is going to be 225.
- Twitter Followers: 100 (Actual was 165). I did pretty good here and met my goal, again with the help of a giveaway I took part in. My goal for December is going to be 250.
I also had a few other blog-related goals:
- Make 15 comments on other blogs each week (I’m pretty sure I didn’t do this, though I came close). For December I’m going to keep it at 15 comments a week.
- Comment on 1 new (to me) blog each week (I know I didn’t do this).
- Tweet out 7 links each week as I encounter really good posts at other blogs (I think I actually did this)